Bush-GOP to Wipe Out Ergonomic Protections for Workers

Gary Ashwill gna at duke.edu
Wed Mar 7 14:18:35 PST 2001

on 3/7/01 11:50 AM, Nathan Newman at nathan at newman.org wrote:

> Just as the Dems in the Senate won't be able to filibuster the tax cut when
> presented as part of the budget under the conciliation rules of the Budget
> Act.

Hendrik Hertzberg in the latest New Yorker seems to think they can:

"Our ramshackle eighteenth-century institutional and constitutional arrangmenents enabled Bush to become President despite being defeated in the vote of the people. Those arrangements, fortuitously, also give the Democratic half of the Senate the power to obstruct a tax proposal which, in its disputed parts, comes down to greed. The use of that power would be another symmetry, and not a fearful one."

Obviously, he's not the ultimate authority on this. Is he just wrong?

Gary Ashwill