farewell to academe

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:04:58 PST 2001

Some time after I was canned, one of my former grad students confided that the grad students at Ohio State regarded me as a holy terror because I expected them to actually do and think carefully about an ungodly amount of really hard reading, and subjected them to Socratic grilling in class. Interestingly the undergrads in the smaller classes liked this. In 300-500 person classes, it was not appreciated. I don't think these high standards hurt me with my colleaguesa s much as being left wing and impolitic did. It may have inhibited student mobilization on my behalf. --jks

The reason they didn't like me as a TA was b/c I actually expected