Horowitz/Reparations for slavery

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 8 11:20:57 PST 2001

At 10:36 AM 3/8/01 -0800, Brad Mayer wrote:
>So Art, what is your job? Or, put another way, why are you wasting your
>valuable time on this list?

he already explained that he's engaged in anti-racist organizing and only rarely delurks to point out what is deeply problematic about what we whities say here every fucking time we open our mouths to talk about racism, how to fight it, etc. spending a few moments here and there to point out that our job is to figure out how whiteness works and to end racist and racializing practices on OUR part is a part time job as far as i could see.

i'd like to know if you'd feel the same if a feminist woman stepped in to tell the so-called feminist men here that 1]. they'd gotten some of the feminist theory and practice they're complaining about wrong and 2]. that maybe instead of telling feminist women how to overcome sexist bigotry and sexist oppression they might spend more time confronting the sexism of their institutions within which they work, live, love, play every day.

something's wrong with thinking, as men, that you can tell feminist women how to run the show and, similarly, there's something wrong with white men and women doing the same to black men and women.

kelley