Horowitz/Reparations for slavery

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 8 13:15:42 PST 2001

At 03:25 PM 3/8/01 -0500, Gordon Fitch wrote:
>kelley:
> > something's wrong with thinking, as men, that you can tell feminist women
> > how to run the show and, similarly, there's something wrong with white men
> > and women doing the same to black men and women.
>
>But the subject under discussion, reparations for slavery,
>is not exclusively a Black issue in the same sense as, say,
>organizing Black people to campaign for reparations (or anything
>else) is. (I'm assuming the issue is being taken seriously.)

huh. well, look at it this way: i thought art pointed out some glaring mistakes in the arguments y'all had put forth thus far. there was some assumption, for instance, that reparations discussions among black radicals wasn't class based. there was some suggestion that they hadn't addressed native americans. there was some suggestions that the discourse needed to be more cognizant of how white people would take it.

now, don't that beat all? it's akin to when brett told katha and me that the problem with feminist theory was that it was really about class -- as if feminist theorists hadn't gotten worked up about those same debates --what?!--25 years ago. sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeIT. :)

what was suggested was that folks ought to do their homework because you'd frame the discussion differently if you had. why heck, you might be citing actual black authors, etc. instead of interjecting your thoughts on the matter as if you alone had thought it up!

and y'all wonder why i called a strike and demanded that men who spoke to feminist theory (and that goes for snide shite remarks about "cultural studies" too! grrrrrrr.) and thought they could criticize it, had actually read some of it first!

criminy!

i'm not suggesting i'm perfect. it's just that i guess it's easier to see why this conversation is annoying if i stopped and thought about how i'd feel if white men sat around and discussed feminist theory as if, say, gloria steinem and mary daly were the be all and end all of feminist theory.

kelley