Horowitz/Reparations for slavery

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 8 21:13:36 PST 2001

>Kelley:

yes, love me or leo?

>You and I have a rather different appraisal of the value and substance of
>McGee's intervention on this topic. I see little or nothing of substance in
>what he had to say;

well, gosh-a-golly, thank you for putting words in my mouth. it's nice to have that oral fixation gratified.

butt, seriously, i didn't appraise the merits of art's post in terms of what he said about reparations. instead, i got annoyed with ONE response. had he not responded, tho, i would have STILL posted gloria yamato's work here and i still would have pointed out this issue about just whose responsibility it is to educate.

i may well be wrong in my interpretation, but so be it. i don't mean to speak for art, he's quite capable. i see it as a larger issue -- the problem of speaking *for* (to/with/at/etc) what happened here is similar to what happened months ago over the mary daly hoohah (and what happened once when doug asked catherine to tell us about Australian politics). *women* on this list were asked to explain feminism to men -- after mary daly had been attacked, for her shoddy writing, but none of the attackers were capable of explaining in more than a rudimentary way, what daly was writing about or what her position was. (not a hard task since there are a slew of websites that will explain her to you. tX). frances bolton replied and told him to, basically, fuck off.

why? because there is a discussion among feminists--mostly feminist of color--who've argued that it's not OUR job to educate you. educate yourself. now, brett and eric asked me why i took that position. i don't always. but i did voice it b/c i was pissed off at a bunch of people sitting around pontificating about feminism without any real knowledge of what the issues were. why should i waste my time? why go through the heartache?

it's not Art's JOB to educate you. why should he waste his godamned time. it gets damn tiring after awhile. it saps the life out of you, if you let it. and if you are listening to white feminists, feminists of color and race theorists and so forth, you'll hear them writing about this issue -- how to emotionally survive.

and i guess i sympathize be/c sometimes i wonder why i waste my time. the last time i called someone on the carpet for a crass remark, that person tried to tell me i didn't have a sense of humor. and no one on this list bothered to point out what he'd said -- nor even to have noticed that it was the third time that a woman was mentioned in one of hist post by reference to what she lookd like. (except chip (thanks chip!).)

why do I or yoshie or other women on this list get the treat of educating people about feminism and "our issues"? what makes us the designated hitters -- and why do *I* have to listen to some punk tell me i don't have a sense of humor. why do women who speak up have to get treated to claims that we are angry? that all we talk about are "sex" issues as if that's somehow a topic that is not appropriate on this list?

now, put yourself in art's place. i did. i bet you can too. not perfectly -- but humanly.

it gets damn tiring after awhile. it sucks the life out of you if you care -- and how can one help but care about something you've lived your entire life with?

and now you're smearing his name. well i've been on lists with art for years too -- i lurk elsewhere -- and i can't say that i agree. so knock it off with the smearing. tX.

also, to joe, my sweet-- i love you -- the problem with the use of Adolph Reed is that it was a form of appropriation. that is, it was an attempt to legitimate the discussion by saying, "well, gee, this black guy said this and it back ups what i say, so therefore...."

that ain't okay. i don't think Michael meant it that way, but I think that a more appropriate way to have interjected Reed into this discussion would have been, actually, to have spoken at length about it, addressing questions such as, "were does adolph reed stand in relation to other black radicals' positions?"

there's a difference. it's an important one. it demonstrates an attentiveness to the issues and a cognizance of the problems with using a black voice to bolster your position.

yoshie was trying to call me on this earlier -- in a sense. except i hadn't really appropriated a black voice to legitimate what i'd said. charles suggested i go hang out with people locally - and i said, i could do that but people locally to me are black -- by which i meant that black people by and large aren't rejecting the claim that florida events were racists. (and i foregrounded complaints by saying, but that doesn't mean i'm engaging in essentialism by noting that of course not ALL blacks would agree per se. and, moreover, it was simply an indication of my own feeling of being worn down by trying to explain something that even my students of color sometimes find hard to understand or, rather, they revert to the trope of individualism too often. but hey, it's introductory level and what can i expect.)

a highly theoretical discussion of this:

Linda Alcoff, "The Problem of Speaking for Others." Cultural Critique (Wint 1991-92): 5-32

She also has an article in Hypatia on "What Should White Peole Do?"

i'll shut up now since i feel that i'm defending Art when he can do that himself. but, again, it's the larger issue: the problem of speaking *for* others that has been sidestepped. there's nothing wrong with talking about these issues. but you really have to do it by way of demonstrating some intimate knowledge with the debate and not write as if you're creating the wheel. we're NOT.

and while i'm often sensitive to framing the issues so that the wider society will "get it" and get on board the train, sometimes it's just too much to expect of a body. where does it get anybody? where does it get us? nowhere.