BK on Identity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 6 01:43:39 PST 2001

>Charles Brown wrote:
>
>>CB: It seems that Reich's studies are just as "much" empirical
>>evidence as Boushey's , but evidence supporting the opposite
>>concluson than that that Boushey draws. Boushey's study doesn't
>>seem to be the only statistical evidence on the issue in dispute
>
>Exactly. Which is why I said the case is not proved, and probably
>not conclusively provable by statistical techniques.
>
>Doug

On one hand, you say the question is not a matter of evaluating competing empirical studies (e.g., Michael Reich versus Heather Boushey). On the other hand, you claim "Yoshie seems to think it's proved, but as far as I can tell she's just asserting that and citing theory to back up the case," thus suggesting that one shouldn't criticize empirical studies from a theoretical vantage point different from the one that informs the studies in question.

What exactly is your point, aside from reiterating your belief that we should build our practice on an assumption that white supremacy is in the interest of white workers (which in my opinion is grounded in neither compelling empirical evidence nor persuasive theoretical argument)?

Yoshie