BK on Identity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 9 07:01:19 PST 2001

Ian says:

> > >No, I said race does not refer; in that respect it is like phlogiston.
>>
>> If you meant to say that race doesn't _explain_, instead of saying
>> "race doesn't refer," I might agree, but I gather that's not what you
>> mean.
>>
>> Yoshie
>
>If it doesn't refer how can it explain? So we do agree :-).

As far as the idea of the "white working class" goes, yes. What of black workers, however? How do you analyze racial oppression without referring to blacks as a race? How do you correct racial oppression without referring to blacks as a race? How do you think blacks -- whether as black workers or as black people -- can organize themselves without any reference to blacks as a race?

Yoshie