Setting Boundaries, was Re: Horowitz/Reparations for slavery

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 9 08:06:12 PST 2001

Here is a simple illustration of the priority of theory to empirical evidence. Over the last 80 years or so a topic of very minor excitement has been establishing what bilding is the world's tallest. That would seem to be a very simple question of getting out one's ruler's and measuring. No. First you have to decide whether to include the antenna on top of the tower as part of the tower to be measured. So even such a simple empirical question as building height cannot be empirically resolved.

dd recognizes this in his last post:

Daniel Davies wrote:
>[clip]
>
> Well, that's probably a much broader group than I'd be
> happy making generalisations about. The kind of
> insider/outsider models that (I believe) underpin the
> benefit from white racism thesis, tend to operate at
> the individual plant level, or at the industry level
> at a pinch. Some plants or groups have benefited,
> others haven't.

So it all depends on how we draw our boundary lines -- not on the social statistics. This is one of the reasons for the old joke about lies, damn lies, & statistics.

Carrol