reparations & exploitation

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Mar 9 09:11:11 PST 2001

At 11:19 AM 3/9/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
>>I don't know whether this is what is bugging Yoshie, but some people
>>might want to say that classes are exploited, races are oppressed. Thts
>>eems to be mechanical to me. Black slaves in America where both oppressed
>>and, in the technical sense, exploited, wrongfully forced to produce
>>surplus (value) that was appropriated by others.
>
>If black and women workers are paid less than would be predicted by their
>education, occupation, and experience - and the consensus of the
>literature is that there's a 10-15% penalty after all things are rendered
>statistically equal - then there's quite a bit of exploitation involved.
>
>Doug

oh my god! yes, it's true that women in same occupations, with same experience, education, work commitment etc often get paid less than men. but the reason why women are paid less is explained MORE by occupational segregation and further segregation within occupations. (women tend to be food service managers, h.r. managers, etc)

that is NOT exploitation. if you got rid of capitalism, then it's quite possible that the same reasons why women end up in jobs that pay less will end up in the same kinds of jobs which are typically accorded less status, prestige, etc.

why is that being ignored?