reparations & exploitation

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Mar 9 10:57:27 PST 2001

At 01:32 PM 3/9/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Yeah, I know this, and it's responsible for most of the pay gap. But even
>*after* all those things are accounted for, nonwhite nonmen are paid less
>than white men. I'm trying to make the point that gender and race figure
>in classically defined economic exploitation.
>
>Doug

i don't think anyone here doesn't believe that! what is at issue isn't that! what is at issue is whether you can say that white workers benefit from racism by calling that exploitation. does the woman who hires a housekeeper exploit that housekeeper? does the couple who buys all the meals preprepared and eat off disposable dishes exploit the people who make the disposable tableware and the food they eat? does the dot.com worker or lawyer exploit the physician's assistant who checks out his strep throat and prescribes antibiotics?