Ted Turner, atheist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 9 13:24:00 PST 2001

[from Sam Smith's Progressive Review]

WASHINGTON TIMES: [Ted Turner] showed up for a staff meeting prior to a retirement party for anchor Bernard Shaw, and noticed that a few of his employees had ash marks on their foreheads. It was Ash Wednesday. The New York Post, citing anonymous sources, said Mr. Turner stared at one of the staffers and said: "I was looking at this woman and I was trying to figure out what was on her forehead. At first I thought you were in the earthquake" in Seattle that day. Mr. Turner added: "I realized you're Jesus freaks. Shouldn't you guys be working for Fox?" Reporter Andy Geller writes: "Turner laughed and there were a few titters in the audience, but most of the 300 people greeted the remarks with stony silence."