Ultimate Floridian lunacy

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sat Mar 10 05:24:29 PST 2001

Hey Chas'n'Justin,

So what's the logic behind handing that little bloke a life sentence, then? If his lawyers turned down a plea bargain with a three-year stretch hanging off it, they must have been very surprised by something in the ensuing proceedings. What was it?

I'm grateful for anything that brings the lunacy of American institutions to Australian eyes, of course. Might help to cool the passion with which we emulate you. But, having just watch the crying mother and child, I kinda hope there's an appeal mechanism by which this particular bout of wanton institutional cruelty might be undone ...

Cheers, Rob.