reparations & exploitation

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sat Mar 10 11:04:09 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> The questions Yoshie raises are very difficult; my inability to answer them
> to my satisfaction is one reason I was unable to finish a publishable
> version of an analysis of domestic labor. I agree that men are not a class.
> The exploitative relation between men as a group and women as a group, which
> is statistically real, is not as definitionally tight as that between
> capitalists and workers. And yet it _is_ real. The Second Shift is an
> uncompensated transfer of labor from women to men. Not all men benefit, and
> not all women participate. But most doa nd have for most of history.

And the skill and precision with which she is making her argument is is irritating precisely because she's nailed down both a powerful benchmark defining exploitiation and grounded its significance in her and othes constant reminders of the long-term costs to those subjected to the exploitation under capitalism. Damn, she's good and her facility with social theory generally humbles me...

But, and there always is one in the end, I wonder if the power of that benchmark itself isn't part of the problem so that in order for a social relationship to involve exploitation is must be by its very nature a complete contradiction. Perhaps the theory that needs developing is one that specifies the conditions under which exploitation can occur between parties to a relationship. Why does oppression occur at all? And in answering that, maybe there'll be an answer to what price freedom?

DB