Wise on School Shootings and White Denial

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 10 16:08:22 PST 2001

John Halle wrote:

> [clip}
> 1) The increasing number of violent incidents in suburban schools are
> indications of the price white america is paying for "ignoring dysfunction
> and violence when it only affected other communities, and thereby
> blind(ing) themselves to the inevitable creeping of chaos which never
> remains isolated too long."
>
> The fact of the matter is that schools, black and white, are not more
> dangerous, but are safer than they were a generation ago.

This seems probable to me but I would like to see some empirical data on it. As to the violent incidents I think that they are of no significance -- that is, they are more or less random events which will not, on analysis, reveal a 'pattern' of any interest. The media can and do use them to create purely illusory 'crises' which then both rationalize increased repression and deflect public attention from real crises.

Carrol