reparations & exploitation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:32:26 PST 2001

You won't hear me defending high salaries for lawyers, most of whom don't earn what they charge, whatever that is. I think that desert plays a smallish but important role in determining comopensation. For the most part we ought to socialize people into thinking of differential compensation as incentives, social engineering. "We have too many lawyers, salaries drop, go into teaching, salaries rise." (The reverse of my own course.) It hasn't to do with in intrinsic worth of the actitivies, but just how many lawyers vs. teachers we need, given how many capable people there are to do these things. Of course this would take a big socio-psychological change.

Your oral fix? I am not sure I want to know. Or not, at any rate, in public. Meet me at the Starlite Motel on Route 6, and we'll talk.

--jks