reparations & exploitation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 12 07:51:45 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>Do people actually understand, by the way, that most federal
>judicial opinions are written by recent law graduates?

I had dinner a few weeks ago with two former Supreme Court clerks. They said that almost all the SC justices are heavily involved in the process of opinion-writing, with the exception of O'Connor, who's pretty disengaged. A couple of the justices run their operations like a high-level law seminar. I was a bit surprised by that; I'd assumed that the clerks did most of the heavy lifting.

Doug