reparations & exploitation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 09:41:44 PST 2001

I was talking about DIFFERENTIAL pay, for whatever the reason. And I do think incentive effects, another consequentialist consideration, are real. And, finally, I do think that people who work harder or contribute more (not the same thing) deserve more, another taht does not trump, and I recognize that measurement of those "more" factors is a very rough and ready proposition. But hasn't anyone here worked in a na environment where he or she had to pick up the work for a slacker who was being paid just as much (or more),a nd resented it? Didn't you think that person was in fact exploiting you? That is the experential basis of working class belief in productivity-based pay differentials. --jks