Conceptualizing Class [Was BK on Identity; Exploitation and Reparations]

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:07:09 PST 2001

>Beware of any argument that ends with the conclusion that working people
>are
>blinded by ideology and 'false consciousness,' if for no other reason than
>the fact that it is guaranteed to lead working people to ignore whichever
>self-appointed vangaurd makes it. But in addition to being politically
>suicidal, it is also very poor social theory.

OK, so how do you account for very widespread racism among white workers? The beliefs are false, since African Americans are not inferior to white people. The holding of these beliefs is caused by systematic social interests, as well as springing from the frustrations of working class life. False, systematically distorted belief is ideology is my book. What do you think, Leo? --jks _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com