queries

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Mar 12 11:08:23 PST 2001

At 01:27 PM 3/12/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Two unrelated questions:
>
>1) When did the use of "space" illustrated in the quote below become
>common? Is it a techie word originally?

in social theory, it was first largely used in geography -- taken up by, damn, two theorists that everyone was reading for awhile -- can't think of their names. giddens appropriated as usual.

>>"If desktop processors were our only problem we would be
>>close to forecasts. What's driving our problem is that it is
>>spreading into the server space as well."
>>
>>--Intel CFO Andy Bryant, explaining the company's newly
>>downgraded profit forecast.
>
>2) Why did techno music happen in Detroit?
>
>Doug

godamn! we covered the techno thing on BAD! joe has it in the archives. house, sampling, bassanddrum, disco, reggae, funk and rap (with some punk in there too, as i recall) late 70s early 80s, iirc. techno's originators were black. Derrick May, Juan Atkins, and Kevin Saunderson

http://www.furious.com/perfect/kevinsaunderson.html