Conceptualizing Class [Was BK on Identity; Exploitation and Reparations]

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:12:02 PST 2001

I guess I asked for it, asking Leo a question like this. Basically, you say, Leo, first, that there are lots of kinds of race-consciousness, not all of which are racist. Fair enough, but I was talking about the sort of attitudes that incude white workers to refer to African Americans by racial epithets, move out of neighborhoods that are integrating, fight busing, blame their problem on affirmative action, etc. Second, you say that racist ideologies may be rational, in that they serve group interests, say, by keeping white wages up at Black worker's expense. That is possible, although empirically controversial, and has been much discuused here. However, even if the false and distorted beliefs are rational in this sense, they are still false and distorted, not justified, that is, ideological. Third, you say that talking this way is not useful because there is no system underlying the distortion of people's beliefs that produces racist attitudes. Well, here we just differ. I am still a historical materialist. You are a postmodern radical democrat. That's a gap I don't thinkw e will bridge. --jks