queries

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Mon Mar 12 16:50:21 PST 2001

Thank you for introducing this quote from Durkheim, a left theorist (yes) who we tend to overlook. I think you are mistaken to say " that's probably nonsense." If I understand him right, he is probably referring to the way pre-modern supernatural beliefs thought of reality being divided into sacred and profane space. Later forms of supernatural belief, the sky-god religions, developed a notion of sacred time. Very good discussion of this distinction in Bruce Lerro's FROM EARTH-SPIRITS TO SKY-GODS: THE SOCIOECOLOGICAL ORIGINS OF MONOTHEISM, INDIVIDUALISM, AND HYPERABSTRACT REASONING FROM THE STONE AGE TO THE AXIAL IRON AGE. And pre-modern beliefs persist into the present day, in attenuated forms. And as for sacred space, Eugen Weber cites peasants in the nineteenth century even in so modern a country as France making offerings at pre-historic dolmens, which must have been sacred spaces for thousands of years.

Maybe we need to think about why advertising, etc., is reverting to this kind of thinking. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema