LBO-Talk March 2001: queries (fwd)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Mar 12 20:27:44 PST 2001

On Mon Mar 12, Doug Henwood worte:

> 1) When did the use of "space" illustrated in the quote below become
> common? Is it a techie word originally?.
>
> >"If desktop processors were our only problem we would be
> >close to forecasts. What's driving our problem is that it is
> >spreading into the server space as well."

Okay, I'll bite. What's wrong with the simple explanation? That "server space" originally meant "space on the server." And after it became a stock phrase, some one used it to mean space in the budget or business plan devoted to servers. And the other monkeys began to imitate it. And there was a ready analogy to desktop space and chip space. They originally meant the space a program took up on the desktop or chip, and then the space the desktop or chip took up in the business plan.

Michael