LBO-Talk March 2001: queries (fwd)

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Mon Mar 12 22:07:27 PST 2001

When I reread the original snippet, I see that the term is just a substitute for "market." They mean "the server market." They aren't just having a slow time selling processors for desktop computers but also for new network servers (usually a much more expensive market). Presumably the snippet is from some article about Intel.

So all this fun that we are having trying to trace the origin of the use of "space" here (and I just contributed a post of my own to the fun) really doesn't get to the point, which is the irrepressable urge that business people (and not just them, by the way) have to put things in roundabout ways that "sound" more intelligent than they are (that is, if they aren't actively obscuring or euphemizing issues).

The writer could just as easily have said, "Our problem isn't just that we can't sell chips to Desktop PC makers; even the business market for new network servers has been dwindling."

Peter Kosenko

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:27:44 -0500 (EST)