Reich: Dem Party "dead"

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:23:30 PST 2001

>But still, folks keep up the silly statements that there is no real
>difference between the parties and the Dems just give in to the opposition,
>even when the evidence is exactly the opposite.

Nathan, you don't get anywhere repeating this canard. The problem is that there is not any difference. I concede that there are some differences, some cutting one way and some another. The problem is rather that there are not enough differences, that the differences are diminsihing, that the center of the party has shifted drastically to the right over the last 25 years, to the point where the mainstream of the Democratic party is to the right of Richard Nixon, that the Dems do not fight the GOP in an effective way, and when they are in power they implement right wing policies like AEDPA, TANF, GATT & NAFTA, and fail to implement left wing policies. You point to the Progressive Caucaus, but these people are marginalized within the party.

I do wonder why you spend so much energy arguing with the tiny handful of us who have given up on the Dems. Your view is the overwhelming majority view on the left. Granted, you think we are wrong, but they are so few of us, and the payback for prying loose a few wobbling lurkers seems awfully scant.