Reich: Dem Party "dead"

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 08:46:30 PST 2001

Something must be wrong with your argument. If the Dems are so left wing, how come their product is so right wing? You blame the GOP. I don't believe it. I mean, I blame them too. But I don't excuplate the Dems. They had Congress up to 1994; they had the presidency in 1977-80 and through the 80s, and the country is, as John Mitchell promised, so far to the right you wouldn't recognize it. This despite the fact that _public opinion_ is not significantly to the right, and indeed on many matters, notably race and sexual orientation (though not capitsl punishment) is to the left, well to the left, of where it usedto be.

One thing about your argument. The Dixiecrats you talk about, most of them, or their equivalents today, are Repug now, while there are no real liberal REpugs anymore, no Lindsays or Rockefellers or Weickers. However, the Dixiecrats may have been awful on race, but they were pretty good on class. One thinks of Al Gore's dad, a liberal Dixiecrat who opposed Title VII _and_ Taft-Hartley. Today, we have a weakened DP that still is focused on a New Democrat, that is, right-of-Nixon essentially Repug program. The party includes people who diusagree with that program but who see no way to make a difference other than supporting it critically. Like you.

No, our sitautions are different. We have to argue against the mainstream view that There Is No Alternative, maintained, for example, by you. Since almost everyone agrees with you, you have no reason other than mental gymnastics to argue with us.

--jks