LBO-Talk March 2001: queries (fwd)

Kenneth Mack Kenneth.Mack at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 13 10:02:57 PST 2001

I must rise to the defense of this use of the word "space"* (Why must I, because I'm avoiding work.) I hate corporate jargon, from endless "solutions" which usually means products (someone recently advertised that they had "product solutions") to the grand daddy jargon of the 80s early 90s the corporate "mission." But as a student of chemistry and climate science the need to visualize reaction surfaces and kinetics brings one to use the word "space" as a descriptive term. One can then visualize the topology and "see" where and why certain things happen. I could see a similar use of the word space in business. More likely though, they just thought it sounded cool.

Remember, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the solid.

Ken *space as a concept of 3 dimensions not necessarily in the three dimensions in which we live

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Carl Remick Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 7:51 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: LBO-Talk March 2001: queries (fwd)

>So all this fun that we are having trying to trace the origin of the
use of
>"space" here (and I just contributed a post of my own to the fun)
really
>doesn't get to the point, which is the irrepressable urge that
business
>people (and not just them, by the way) have to put things in
roundabout
>ways that "sound" more intelligent than they are (that is, if they
aren't
>actively obscuring or euphemizing issues).

Welcome to my world. As a corporate propagandist of long-standing, I can assure you that words are used mainly in an incantatory way in business communications. Execs, hell-bent on avoiding any sort of accountability, hide out in thickets of meaningless jargon and seek safety in numbers, employing exactly the same limited set of buzzwords -- no matter what industrial sector they're in -- at any particular time. Of course, having been around this list long enough to savor the higher fatuousness of the litcrit crowd, I see that this will to incomprehensibility is not restricted to commerce.

Carl