queries

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Tue Mar 13 10:36:03 PST 2001

Yes! Maybe not the parts of the left tradition you or I particularly identify with, but we mustn't forget his most overt political involvement was as a Dreyfusard, and a strong one. His side won, which is a little unusual for the left. Partly because it was a substantially bourgeois left, but still and all, it succeeded in eliminating, pretty much for good (except under Vichy) the right as a ruling élite, and crushingly defeated the Church, some of whose personnel were deported from France under military guard.

Moreover, Durkheim's seemingly purely academic theorizing involved efforts to consolidate democratic hegemony and provide an intellectual basis for a secular democratic society. I'm sure if the local hierarchy read THE ELEMENTARY FORMS OF THE RELIGIOUS LIFE, they must have know they were one of its targets.

Durkheim seems to me a theorist of the left in power in capitalist society. I think this means we need to recognize the many problems of his work in that light.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema