reparations & exploitation

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:27:51 PST 2001

>It's self-defeating: treating people equally materially is not treating the
>equally, because it ignores the ways in which they are individual.--jks

That seems sophistical to me. Take Edward Bellamy, for instance. His argument in Looking Backward was that society could ensure that its citizens would be able to develop their individuality to the fullest *only* by according them equal income. Each citizen would be free to spend his or her discretionary income on whatever best served that individual's intellect and appetites. I fail to see how anyone would be unjustly deprived under such a scheme.