Historical Materialism and Racism/Sexism/Heterosexism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 13:34:42 PST 2001

You say "functionalist" like it's a bad thing, Leo. I'm not a Parsianin functionalist who thinks that everything on society can be explaineda s functional. I'm a historical materialist, who thinks there is a dialectic between functional explanation of social stability and nonfunctional, anti-functional (fettering) explanation of social change. I don't have to say, I reject, the proposition that class is the fundamental cause of everything.

My point way that class relations provides an overarching explanatory structure that accounts for why various ecletic causes have their eclectic effects. The way it provides that structure is via a quasi-Darwinian (really Lamarckian) filter of the sort described. T

The argument that class is the structural explanation rather than race or sex or whatever is pragmatic: in principle, race, etc. might be, but in practice we see that class-based explanations of the sort I am talking about are the most powerful, systematic, and cohesive explanations.

Since some theory is more attractive than none, your eclectic alternative of giving up on a general grand narrative is to be resorted to only in desperation. I don't think we are that desperate. It's not that you have a better alternative: you have no alternative.

--jks