reparations & exploitation

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Tue Mar 13 14:27:30 PST 2001

It's my son who takes ballet. --jks

>Mandatory ballet class---with your daughter of course. Imagine your
>chances in a leotard, before a class of ten, eleven and twelve year
>olds as they assess your progress and evaluate your performative merit
>in the seven movements: plier, etendre, relever, sauter, elancer,
>glisser, and tourner. I suspect it would not be long, before such ideas, as
>how
>about an A for effort would start to occur to you.

Okay your son then. Now, how about the rest of the post? How is differential compensation working in ballet for you? Tell me your son thinks you could stand up to a class evaluation.

What are these incentives supposed to do once they are doled out? Who are the `we' and the `they'? Why should we want to follow their directives? What makes their merit schemes inherently more socially valuable, and so forth and so on.

See there are a whole range of activities, many of the arts for example that have no redeeming social value, produce nothing of material consequence, do not fit any neo-liberal scheme of value (and hence are dying of starvation) and yet provide a life full of quite wonderful work which I certainly enjoy and am glad that it exists.

Chuck Grimes