Fruitcase

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Tue Mar 13 17:03:31 PST 2001

> >[Yet another good reason for the US to compromise on this banana issue.
> >Is there any reason why Chiquita still punches so far above its weight?
> >It's as if our foreign policy were still being run by United Fruit.]
> >

> Is there any reason why Europe should be shafting Western Hemisphere
> banana producers?
>
> Presumably Panama and company are cheering Chiquita on, no?
>

> Brad DeLong

The bananas are getting eaten. Who cares if Chiquita gets locked out of a market and goes bust, some other big wholesaler will get the crops and sell them somewhere [maybe they'll use less pesticides and fertilizers and give the farmers a decent price too]. Who's Carl Linder think he is that he can buy the government [and a party] to do his bidding and then tell another group of countries what they can and cannot buy on their terms?

Ian