Balancing the Japanese economy down

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Mar 14 00:38:04 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Rob Schaap wrote:

> And it has a frightened working class watching an entrenched 'moral

Union membership in Japan is down to 20% or so, though real wages have supposedly held up pretty well (one wonders how accurate the statistics are). The company unions are pretty corrupt, though, so maybe the deadwood has to be cleared out before new, class-conscious unions can take root.

> Coz he's asking Japanese workers to make a cultural shift much more
> dramatic than even the crap we Anglo-Saxons have been copping since the
> seventies - and that was bad enough.

Always demand the impossible! "Evangelion" touched off a firestorm among Japan's young generation in the late 1990s. I sometimes think it's what Japan had where the US had the Battle of Seattle: somehow, micropolitics and geopolitics converged like twin strands of DNA.

-- Dennis