men more aggressive, women more emotional...

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed Mar 14 13:59:54 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:
>To him they are better looking. De gustibus, etc. --jks

i'd assumed charles was kidding, so i teased him back. but if not, i'll say this: it's the classic thing that men in my classes say when we talk about why women's bodies are more prominent in various media than are men's. OF COURSE! it's because men are naturally ugly while women are naturally beautiful. men are dirty and stinky, as well! heh. criminy!

no de gustibus about it! it's like when women friends who say, "oh my nanny (or my at home mom neighbor) is soooooo great with kids. i don't know how she does it, staying at home all day with the kids. it would drive me mad. i couldn't do it, but she's a saint!" (you can see same re: comments associated with race, disability and even in the valorization of manual labor)

contemporary versions of the phenom. encompassed in the Victorian pedastal.

kelley