The Problems of Functionalism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:08:51 PST 2001

Leo Casey wrote:

>I made an argument that there is an intellectual continuity in Gintis'
>evolution on education issues, that he had a functionalist view of schooling
>in _Schooling in Capitalist America_ and that the argument for school
>vouchers which he makes continues to be functionalist.

Speaking of functionalism, I think that those who conclude that racism is in the interest of white workers because racism has been prevalent & persistent among many of them are functionalist in a bad sense.

As for vouchers, instead of quarreling with Justin & accusing him of functionalism, Leo, as a labor bureaucrat of the UFT (a teachers' union!) should be explaining to all *why under-funding public schools is racist & therefore is not in the interest of the working class* & arguing that *vouchers, which give a few parents an individualist pseudo-solution of opting out of worst public schools, are not in the interest of the working class either*!

Yoshie