Reich: Dem Party "dead"

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Mar 14 20:21:32 PST 2001

>On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:57:51 -0800, Brad Mayer
><bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> And partisans of the Democratic party such as Nathan Newman have a
>> vital reason for working against us recondites here on LBO - they
>> _know_ that we - few in number as we are - hold the balance in
>> general Presidential and many statewide elections, as the Nader
> > campaign just showed.
> > There is only one thing we need say to these: We are out to
> > _destroy_ your Party. End of discussion

So does every group. If we Democrats move left to make you happy, we lose enough centrists that we elect Republicans. If we Democrats stay where we are, we lose you and elect Republicans.

So perhaps our only chance is to go join the Republican Party as its liberal, northeastern wing. When we get the Republicans up to 70% of the electorate, we might be able to win a primary and get some reasonably centrist candidates elected.

But until then, get used to being governed by Trent Lott and Dick Armey...

Brad DeLong