men more aggressive, women more emotional...

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Mar 14 23:07:04 PST 2001

>>..sez Gallup <http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr010221.asp>.
>>
>>Though women are also more intelligent than men, and more creative too.
>>
>>Doug
>
>It appears to me that it is not in the interest of "men" to be "male." :-)

Au contraire - men can benefit from being thought aggressive and brave in a capitalist society. They're big pluses if life = competition, aren't they? And well worth paying large for. And as we're obsessed with whatever 'intelligence' is, and as we may think this primarily a female virtue, imagine the market value of a man who knows how to sound intelligent, too? A rare gem indeed!

So the lesson I'd take as a young man is that I must merely make sure not to undermine the aggression and courage ascribed to me, but make sure to accumulate and display the cultural capital the bourgeoisie smugly like to call intelligence. It's all in Gladiator, really ... and if young Russ's ratings with the chicks count for anything, I'd say what boojies pay for in dollars, the chicks will match with sexual favours.

As a young woman, I'd learn that my best chance is to make a show of my aggression and bravery, as they're the virtues that would set me apart from competitors of my sex. Maggie reputedly had a lot of British chaps hot for her, and she used to titillate them with little displays like sinking the General Belgrano and destroying the NUM - stuff a man in her position might not have had to do to, as it would have been much more important for him to prove his intelligence.

And today we're all hot for aggressive, brave, but not exceptionally intelligent, Buffy.

So money and sexual rewards seem to go to the people who display they're not typical of their gender ... scarcity is all - discursively produced or otherwise.

Cheers, Rob.