Reich: Dem Party "dead"

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu Mar 15 04:02:00 PST 2001

jeradonah . wrote:

>there seems to be an underlying assumption among ideologs of all hues
>that *elections* should be waged on ideological grounds -- that being
>"correct" is better than winning. and while i suspect ideology does
>motivate *some* voters in casting their votes, this doesn't seem to be
>the case across the board. all kinds of things motivate voters at the
>polls and winners put together the kinds of electoral coalitions that
>triggers their voter's motivations.

the assumption that ideology is about explicitly political parties, etc is ITSELF an ideology.

the assumption that people aren't motivated by ideology but something else--something nameless and amorphous--is ITSELF ideological.

>perhaps the clinton legacy is that people have come to think of
>governance and campaign slogans as the same. winning elections is
>one thing; governance is entirely different. you shouldn't expect
>them to be the same.

more ideology!

>there are a lot of factors here, all of which have complicated the
>political environment. it used to be easier to build a general
>consensus when communities were small, the media was oligarchic, and
>people believed that government actually mattered (in their daily
>lives). and i do believe the public *has* the government it actually
>deserves...

more ideology!

> > But I don't excuplate the Dems. They had Congress up to 1994; they
> > had the presidency in 1977-80 and through the 80s, and the country
> > is, as John Mitchell promised, so far to the right you wouldn't
> > recognize it. This despite the fact that _public opinion_ is not
> > significantly to the right, and indeed on many matters, notably
> > race and sexual orientation (though not capitsl punishment) is to
> > the left, well to the left, of where it used to be.
>
>the problem is, even if they are, do they *think* of themselves as
>such?

and how do you explain this!?

>if the country is not conservative, then it seems awfully
>cautious to me...

equating conservativism with caution: more ideology!

>well, my momma always told me you could do anything you wanted, if you
>were willing to make the sacrifices required to achieve your goals.

more ideology!

kelley (hey ac, ya old baldy!)