Americans "still bullish"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 15 09:07:15 PST 2001

[This is not reassuring. And, on the basis of my reliable indicator - whether I get calls from mainstream reporters to comment on the financial carnage, which is usually a buy signal - we're nowhere near a bottom.]

<http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr010315.asp>

March 15, 2001

After Stock Market Drops 317 Points, Americans Still More Bullish Than Bearish By 57% to 37%, say decline below the 10,000 mark is no big deal, but majority have less confidence in economy

by David W. Moore

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- According to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll conducted Wednesday night, after the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped more than 300 points during the day and closed at its lowest level in almost two years, Americans remain more bullish than bearish about the stock market. By a margin of 57% to 37%, they say the close of the index below the 10,000 mark is no big deal rather than a significant milestone, and by a somewhat smaller margin of 52% to 38%, they describe themselves as bulls rather than bears. Furthermore, by a margin of 29% to 16%, Americans expect the stock market to be better rather than worse in the next six months, with half expecting it to stabilize.