Japan

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Thu Mar 15 11:08:52 PST 2001

Opps, I didn't see this part... I agree that the rulers of Japan have been edging toward so-called "neoliberialism" (a misnomer in my book), except you might be surprised to find out that an important sector of the state bureaucracy is in the vanguard of this, not the capitalists. This would be in keeping with a world wide pattern as of late, especially in regard to China, The former Soviet republics, and E. Eurpoe. Hence why I see "neoliberalism' as misnomer - its more like "market bureaucracy" to me.

But, before you can have Clinton, you have to have Thatcher/Reagan - you can't just drop a Japanese Clinton into place.

Instead you have the Japan Democratic Party, recently formed and untested in government. It's an open question whether this formation could survive intact.

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA