men more aggressive, women more emotional...

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Mar 15 15:37:24 PST 2001

Yoshie, quoting Lenin, writes:

"Class political consciousness can be brought to the workers _only from without_, that is, only from outside the economic struggle, from outside the sphere of relations between workers and employers."

Yes. I used to work as a security guard for the Bank of A., guarding the world trade center building in San Francisco. I worked the graveyard shift (so I could study Latin AND pay the rent). It was a matter of unofficial policy that women and black guards were not allowed to guard the executive floor. Now this was a coveted position because there was absolutely nothing to do, so I was more than a little upset that I was barred on account of my sex. Upon further reflection however, I realized that the real problem wasn't that women/blacks couldn't guard the executive floor, the real problem was that anybody (man/woman/dog) should have to stay up all night guarding the money of thieves.

Also, for the first time in my life, I felt I understood Hamlet. As some of you may remember, the first scene begins with (security) guards on the night shift exchanging paranoid greetings and being "sick at heart" over guarding the kingdom of a drunk and, as it turns out, of a murderer. Hamlet too has to sort out this problem when he attempts to enact a revenge that will accomplish nothing more than perpetuate the same system of power.

Joanna