Neoclassical Logic

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:49:32 PST 2001

>From: Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU>
>
>It's no secret which way I come down--I am a card-carrying
>neoliberal, after all. Let free trade and investment rip, watch
>wealth accumulate, hope that sweet commerce creates softer forms of
>rule, and get ready for the next turn of the political wheel which
>will make movement toward social democracy possible in a generation
>or so.

That segues all too easily into Keynes' pathetic comment, "For at least a hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to everyone that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still. For only they can lead us out of the tunnel of economic necessity into daylight."

The forces that drive economic development today are overwhelmingly corrupt and corrupting, and, worst of all, they are self-perpetuating -- more likely to keep us trapped in that "tunnel" than to aid us in finding our way out. At some point in history, the pretense must stop; there must be frank acknowledgement and cultivation of broad awareness that we are encouraging evil forces that debase human potential in our pursuit of material abundance. There surely must be better way to achieve the necessary goal of assuring material security for all.

Carl