men more aggressive, women more emotional...

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 00:02:09 PST 2001

--- Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote: >

> At 02:22 PM 3/15/01 -0500, Charles Brown wrote:
>
> >CB: I disagree with you in this sense , Kelley. I
> think that in fact, and
> >in general , women pay more attention to personal
> hygiene and aesthetics ,
> >and these are genuine and actual superiorities of
> women.
>

> do this with race.
>
> ((((((((((
>
> CB: In general, Black people are not racist as much
> as white people. In that regard they are superior to
> white people.

I would have thought that a more exact reproduction of Charles' point in line with Kelley's request would be something along the lines of the following:

---------------

"CB: I disagree with you in this sense , Kelley. I think that in fact, and in general , women pay more attention to personal hygiene and aesthetics , and these are genuine and actual superiorities of women. My attitude is to emulate them, learn from them in these respects. They are not naturally more attentive to hygiene and aesthetics, but rather socially conditioned by custom and , perhaps , a sort of historic feminist seizing of a realm of U.S. and probably other Western culture and holding power in it. And these things _are_ important for a better quantity and quality of life. This generalization is not perfect, but it is not worse than average in terms

of generalizations about differences between women and men, certainly in the U.S., but my guess is that it is wider than that."

would become

CB: I disagree with you in this sense , Kelley. I think that in fact, and in general , black people have rhythm and can jump, and these are genuine and actual superiorities of blacks. My attitude is to emulate them, learn from them in these respects. They are not naturally better dancers and basketball players, but rather socially conditioned by custom and , perhaps , a sort of historic racial seizing of a realm of U.S. and probably other Western culture and holding power in it. And these things _are_ important for a better quantity and quality of life. This generalization is not perfect, but it is not worse than average in terms

of generalizations about differences between black and white, certainly in the U.S., but my guess is that it is wider than that.

I'm not sure what to make of this revised formulation myself, but it certainly seems to me to be in line with Charles' previously expressed views on black people, music and sport, so I don't think the implied charge of inconsistency sticks.

dd

===== "Imagine the Duchess's feelings You could have pierced her with swords To find her youngest son liked Lenin And sold the Daily Worker near the House of Lords" -- Noel Coward