Neoclassical Logic

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:01:23 PST 2001

>``....It's no secret which way I come down--I am a card-carrying
>neoliberal, after all. Let free trade and investment rip, watch
>wealth accumulate, hope that sweet commerce creates softer forms of
>rule, and get ready for the next turn of the political wheel which
>will make movement toward social democracy possible in a generation
>or so....'' Brad DeLong

Jam tomorrow, never jam today. But, as the Red Queen pointed out to ALice--was it the Red Queen or the White Queen?--it's never tomorrow. Brad, what is the evidence that commerce is creating softer forms of rule? I mean, the bourgeoisie have never gone in for soft forms of rule. Democratic advances were won by good ol' class struggle in their faces. And a generation "or so" is putting it off till my children die in 2075 or so, at which point I imagine the Brad DeLongs of their world will be putting off The Great Day till 2150 "or so." You really don;t think we are rich enough for justice yet? Really, truly Brad? --jks _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com