Rudy G loves sweatshops

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 13:01:54 PST 2001

From: News and Views | City Beat | Thursday, March 15, 2001

http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-03-15/News_and_Views/City_Beat/a-103416.asp

New Law Bans Biz With Sweatshops

By FRANK LOMBARDI Daily News Staff Writer

Over Mayor Giuliani's opposition, the City Council passed a bill yesterday that bars city agencies from doing business with clothing and uniform vendors who get their products from sweatshops.

The bill — which passed by a 39-to-5 vote — requires firms that sell apparel goods to the city to certify that they pay nonpoverty wages and comply with wage, health, labor and other safety laws.

The city contractors also would be held responsible if their foreign suppliers allowed sweatshop conditions.

Under the measure, violators could lose their city contracts and be fined $5,000 for making false claims of compliance.

"Today we are sending a message to sweatshop operators and to the rest of the nation — New York City will not tolerate you and we will not do business with you," said Council Speaker Peter Vallone (D-Queens).

Signaling a possible veto, Giuliani said in an opposition message that the bill would add onerous bureaucratic requirements to the contracting process and cause apparel contractors to avoid doing business with the city.

He said existing laws and procedures already ensure that the city contracts with responsible, law-abiding apparel providers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-03-15/News_and_Views/City_Beat/a-103416.asp