Class Struggle Is the Name of the Game (was Re: Dope Wars)

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Fri Mar 16 13:15:39 PST 2001

when I was at the New School another student wrote an interesting paper where Chess, Monopoly, Class Struggle, and other games were used as metaphors for different modes of production.

-----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi [mailto:furuhashi.1 at osu.edu] Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 1:00 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Class Struggle Is the Name of the Game (was Re: Dope Wars)

>http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/15/technology/15DOPE.html?0315ci

The best part of the article appears to me to be the following:

***** One player, Matthew Cook, said he had become obsessed with DopeWars while he was a graduate student at the Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California. He said the game reflected lessons taught in his classes, including market testing, risk management, inventory control and money management. And of course, in the twilight of the dot-com age, it plays to the interest in sudden riches as players watch the price of drugs skyrocket.

"It's like your company I.P.O.'s at five times what you expected it to," he said. (Mr. Cook's own company, an Internet start-up, recently went under.) *****

Has anyone read _Class Struggle Is the Name of the Game: True Confessions of a Marxist Businessman_ by Bertell Ollman? It's out of print now, I think.