Richard Pipes

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 15:50:15 PST 2001

Yes, Carrol, please.

Let me say as a sometime Sovietologist that Pipes is a liar and a fraud, utterly incompetent as a Soviet scholar. He's actually not bad on 19th century Russia, his speciality, but he is so blinded with hatred and loathing when it comes to the USSR that he cannot keep on the straight and narrow. I don't say this because he's a righwtinger and I'm not. There are many right wing scholars of the USSR who have done first rate work: the great Merle Fainsod, Robert Conquest (very able), Edward Crankshaw, even Leonard Shapiro. Pipes is just no damn good on this stuff.

jks