a fan's notes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 18 06:56:01 PST 2001

A lovely formulation from the new ish of Workers Vanguard (the one with the front-page headline "Pink Slips for Workers, Tax Breaks for Millionaires"):

"Every four years, we get the chance (sometimes, at least) to choose which class enemy will tell us to sit down and shut up."

Also, Mumia's column in this issue includes this quote from Brig Gen William Looney (both the name and the quote seem too good to be true), sourced to William Blum's Rogue State (p. 159): "If they [Iraq] turn on the radars, we're going to blow up their goddamn SAMs. They know we own their country. We own their airspace.... We dictate the way they live and talk. And that's what's great about America right now. It's a good thing, especially when there's a lot of oil out there we need."

Doug