Japan

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 18 16:19:21 PST 2001

> Any culture which features some of the highest real wages in the world/
> intelligent industrial policies/world-class mass-transit systems/the
> lowest gap between the rich and poor of any industrialized
> country/universal health insurance/collective solidarity and assistance
> can't be all bad.

True enough on wages, transit, wealth gap and (maybe) health insurance. They also have a low, but rising, violent crime rate. But, from everything I can tell industrial policy hasn't worked since the late 70's at the latest. And the collective solidarity is still not all that collective (or collective differently) if you're a woman or ethnic Chinese.

> Plus, they actually bother to count the votes in their elections, unlike
> some ex-superpowers we could name.

Which is a real accomplishment if you have only one party vying for parliamentary and executive control.

-Christian