Organization Kid

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:46:06 PST 2001

I never saw any tumult and turbulence at Tigertown in 1975-79. There was some anti-apartheid activism and marches against the U using non-union suppliers for textiles like JP Stevens. There was a little rad paper called The Forerunner that wouldn't let me contribute because I wasn't in the right circles. It was a pretty sleepy place though. In fact, the activism I hear about there sounds more active and more lively than when I was there. Moreover, until 1998, I was around college campuses, doing campus organizing, pretty continuously.

Granted, the environments were different. Michigan in the 1980s was pretty active. I gather it isn't so much now. Kalamazoo College was very progressive. Ohio State was pretty sleepy and reactionary, notwithstanding Yoshie's good work. But that is pretty much typical of those places. Michigan has been this way since the 60s, less now, but still more than most; K is intense and progressive in its tiny way; OSU has almost always been conservative, with a rad blip in 1970. Princeton when I was there was recognizably related to the Princeton of F.Scott Fitzgerald. I don't believe it has changed that much.

I still think most students everywhere are mainly interested in getting drunk and getting laid. I work, moreover, with recent law grads who recently went to the top schools, Brown, Chicago, Harvard, etc. If anyone would manifest the traits discussed in the article in would be these people, and they don't, and they don't report that those places are like that. I don't believe Brooks' results.

--jks