Organization Kid

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Sun Mar 18 21:08:00 PST 2001

1. i don't think it struck the author the way you seem to think, either. he'd be fool to have read all the lit and make that argument. not surprisingly, then, he didn't.

2. i'd suggest that he's talking about a kind of careerism that can easily be taken up as an activist. so, i think that with the lens he was wearing, he'd probably see bizzy bizzy serious hardworking activists as well. he was interested in the careerist v. politico trope, afterall. he's talking about unstructured relaxing, sitting around shooting the breeze and perhaps contemplating every so often what life is all about. i really don't think this is a full-blown narrative of decline, either. close, but no ceegar.

3. from that snippet, which was an accidental paste that came off my clipboard instead of something else i'd intended, how would you know what i do? my organizing and political activism began two decades ago. i don't think i need to be lectured by you.

4. careful, if you overstuff the article, you're going to end up with straw all over your collar. ah hell, go ahead and set a match to it since what the author actually wrote really makes no difference to what you have to say. yes, it is an obvious ref to organization man. but is uppose if you gave it a little thought you can see how he's engaged in journalism, not social science and certainly not activism. he's not a sloganeer or a leninist. he's writing for The Atlantic Monthly.